Serving the homeless, hurting, and hungry since 1893.
In 1893, a group called the Christian Endeavor Society of Wilmington decided to reach out to the homeless men and "tramps" of Delaware. This group wanted to provide these individuals with church on Sundays and a meal. Upon learning about a similar effort in nearby Philadelphia, the traveled there to study and learn more about how they could impact their community.
The Christian Endeavor Society soon established an effort to provide:
A meeting each Sabbath morning for Wilmington's homeless.
A free meal for these men.
Effort to find work for these men.
The ministry opened at 7th and Lombard in late 1893. But soon, in January 1894, it began to provide shelter.
Throughout the years and at several locations the Mission has gone far beyond "Sunday Breakfast" to reach out to area children through Sunday school programs and to local women through "Mothers' Clubs." After a short time these ministries continued to expand to men.
All of this effort carries the same Christian emphasis and content of that early Christian Endeavor Society...
To provide rest for the body and peace for the soul.